Soroptimist Position on Global Issues
Soroptimist International has developed a series of position
statements on issues of global concern. These have been developed with
broad consultation of the membership and represent the collective
opinion of the membership on issues of major importance. Full copies of
these statements are published in a document titled "Where We Stand".
Copies of this can be downloaded from http://soroptimistinternational.org/html/downloads.html.
In developing position statements, Soroptimist International often
supports the principles outlined in such international treaties and
- The Millennium Development Goal (MDGs);
- The Platform for Action for Women;
- The Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women, including the Optional Protocol;
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights;
- The Convention of the Rights of the Child;
- Agenda 21.
Soroptimists are encouraged to become aware of the content of such
documents and advocate for implementation of policies and legislation
which support the principles contained in these documents.