Every two years, clubs have the opportunity to put forward a proposal for a new Federation Project. Members vote to accept a particular project at the biennial Conference of Clubs. Once accepted as a Federation Project, funds are raised by clubs throughout the Federation and the project is overseen by Soroptimist members.
Sanctuary: Shelter for Women
The projects aims to provide shelter to the most vulnerable in our community especially women and children who have been the victims of domestic violence and natural disasters and for whom are often the last to receive care and attention.
These shelers as they are built will also provide professional help in the way of counsellors, psychologists, medical personnel, caregivers, skills trainers and other necessary services as deemed based on the needs of the women at the time.
Previous Federation Projects have resulted in:
- Birthing in the Pacific; Improving maternal health; educating midwifes, community health workers and village birth attendants, providing opportunties for upskilling, medical equipment, training supplies.
- Hands across the Borders a project to bring health, education and
economic opportunities to Sampovloun, Cambodia. The initial focus of the
Project was to improve sanitation and infrastructure as well as provide
a number of basic supplies for the School and Hospital. Upgrade of the
hospital and upsilling of nurses.
- establishing the first clinic in Papua New Guinea for victims of domestic violence;
- research into and support for issues related to care for Alzheimer's sufferers;
- a library and education centre for street children; and
- provision of simple cost effective devices for oral rehydration and controlled nutrition of children.