SISWP President’s Special Appeal: “Soroptimist Makmur Indonesia” Tsunami and Earthquakes Appeal has been created to assist women, girls and families to stay safe and begin to rebuild their lives after the devastating effects of the Tsunami and Earthquakes which affected Indonesia in September 2018. Read more about how this appeal is providing much needed support to these victims.
SISWP President Anusha Santhirasthipam states that “When natural disasters strike, women and girls suffer the most. Displaced, homeless and without food and shelter, they are most likely to become victims of violence, sexual abuse, rape, slavery and trafficking. Incidences of child marriages also sharply increase after natural disasters as girls who can no longer go to school are swiftly married off. The situation is no different in tsunami devastated and earthquake ravaged Sulawesi and Lombok in Indonesia, where women and girls in remote temporary camps receive little aid and remain most vulnerable.
As Soroptimists, I know that you will rise to the occasion and “walk our talk” by contributing to President’s Special Appeal “Soroptimist Makmur Indonesia” launched on 17 October. We are racing against time to raise sufficient funds to provide safety, shelter, medical aid, water and sanitation, temporary schools, toilets and enclosed shower facilities for women and girls. SI Kemang and SI Jakarta in Indonesia are taking charge of these high priority recovery and rehabilitation programmes. I appeal for compassionate support from all clubs and regions to organize major fund-raising activities. Help us secure corporate sponsors and individual donors whom you are able to direct to our SISWP website to make donations for Soroptimist Makmur Indonesia Appeal Read More Here on how to donate.”
SI Indonesia are working to assist victims of this natural disaster by providing temporary shelter, partnering with local medical teams providing immediate emergency medical assistance, providing medical supplies, personal care and hygiene items, potable water and sanitation facilities.
Support delivered by SI Indonesia includes:
- Partnerships with local medical teams, providing immediate emergency medical assistance for 500 families.
- Supply of family-sized tents and blankets, primarily to women and girls in Sulawesi areas who have not received any aid assistance. They are homeless, vulnerable and in danger from violent crimes as well as serious illness caused by heavy rains and mosquito borne diseases, like Malaria.
- Work in Lombok to support disaster-affected families with shelter and essential emergency supplies.
- Delivery of 700 care packs to families in Palu.
Further relief funds are needed to help families across Indonesia to:
• heal and recover with emergency healthcare and safety supplies;
• improve their access to water and sanitation facilities;
• build temporary and transitional shelter and schools;
• rebuild their livelihoods through early recovery interventions.
How can you help?
Your donations will go towards helping those affected, especially vulnerable women and children. $600,000 is needed to:
• Provide tents and plastic sheets for flooring;
• Deliver clean water equipment and sanitation facilities;
• Build temporary safe schools and supply education materials;
• Build toilets and enclosed bathing facilities for women and girls to take showers and manage their hygiene and feminine care;
• Provide first aid kits, sanitary packs and new mother-baby packs;
• Harvest rainwater;
• Provide food security through farming and animal rearing.
Make a Donation
Direct Deposits to:
||Soroptimist International of the South West Pacific
||Westpac Banking Corporation
||Cnr King & Castlereagh Streets, Sydney, NSW, 2000
||Club / Member Name + Indonesia Appeal
Please email email@example.com to notify of donation and provide email address for sending receipt.
Cheque / Bank Draft Payments:
Must be in AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS only
Payable to: Soroptimist International of the South West Pacific
Post to: Soroptimist International of the South West Pacific
PO Box 746
Surry Hills, NSW, 2010
Please attach a note stating donation is for “Indonesia Appeal” and provide email address for sending receipt.