Orange the World: END VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN NOW!
This important campaign begins on the 25th of November - the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women and goes until the 10th of December, Human Rights Day. It is vital that all clubs embrace this campaign and commit themselves to action during this time.
We are all aware that violence is a shadow or silent pandemic that has accompanied COVID and has magnified health, homelessness and food insecurity. The vulnerable, women with disabilities, refugees and indigenous people around the world are at disproportionate risk and face greater barriers in their access to services.
The pandemic has exacerbated all risks and has strengthened factors such as gender stereotypes and social norms that impact women. As the United Nations reports, “The economic fallout is expected to push 47 million more women and girls into extreme poverty during 2021, reversing decades of progress and perpetuating structural inequalities that reinforce VAWG.”
The 2021 objectives in this year’s campaign include:
- Advocating for inclusive and long term strategies, programmes and resources for elimination that prioritise the marginalised
- Promote success stories that show that prevention works
- Promote the leadership of women and girls in policymaking
- Encourage bold new commitments
Check out the 16 Days of Activism Toolkit Guidelines 2021 HERE and all the available marketing images and resources HERE .
There are many ways in which your club can act:
- Take a picture of club members holding a banner that is available to print and put it on your club Facebook page
- Share SISWP posts to your network
- Share UN posts
- Check out and share the short videos that are available
- Check out the YouTube post from SISWP on coercive control
- Plan and action in your local area
- Quote information or statistics from SISWP or SI and make your own posts
- Wear orange on each day
- Check if your local government body has a poster up. If not ask them WHY NOT?
- Attend a rally or walk and carry placards. Have your club name on them.
- Use the orange emblem for the 16 days
- Advocate for topics linked to violence to all levels of government
Check out the UN links about 16 days of Activism for more information HERE.